1. Proposed a list of Core Values to be exemplified by City staff and Commissions, as well as City Council Members in January 2011; the proposal was discussed among employee groups and 6 values were chosen—teamwork, commitment, communication, respect, integrity, and excellence; also promoted the use of these values in city publications including the city council agendas.
2. Encouraged staff to apply for awards to highlight the accomplishments of the city:
a. Tree City designation was applied for and received in 2012.
b. All America City award—was applied for in 2012 but we did not receive it; will apply again in 2015 or 2016.
c. Buena Park Police Department is in the process of accomplishing accreditation.
3. Set a new professional presentation standard for the State of the City event in January 2013.
4. Involved with educational issues as the “education” council member (moniker given by another Council Member).
a. Proposed the establishment of a city Education Commission—the current “Education Committee” meets quarterly and has a membership that includes city officials, local superintendents and principals, President of Cypress College, education foundation leaders, chamber of commerce representatives, BP Library director, private school administrator, BPPD captain. This has resulted in better communication and cooperation among the city and seven school districts.
b. Promoted the use of recycling revenues to pay for all 6th graders in Buena Park to attend field trips to the Discovery Science Museum in Santa Ana. This includes pre-trip instruction about benefits to our environment of recycling.
c. Encouraged the attendance of all 3rd grade students at Gift of History Day at Angel Stadium each fall.
d. Organized “Buena Park Goes to College,” a city-wide college fair and informational seminar, held on November 2, 2013 with 250 people in attendance. 2nd Annual event is being planned for September 14, 2014.
Disclaimer: Pop-Up Ads may show up, so please close the ad or ignore it, thank you.
e. Encouraged reading to children and book giveaways at city events—a nonprofit group now donates hundreds of books each year to the city to be read to children at city events and then given to the children to take home as their own. This happens at Summer Concerts in the Park and other events.
f. Joined two education foundations as the Buena Park city representative—Anaheim Union High School District Education Foundation Board of Directors and Buena Park School District Education Foundation Board of Directors.
g. Supported local school events and PTA fundraisers.
5. Advanced fiscal responsibility by (1) insisting on employees paying their full employee-share of PERS retirement plan, (2) establishing a percentage-based reserve policy, (3) agreeing to establish an Economic Development Fund using one-time monies, which were the result of the loss of redevelopment program.
6. Enhanced the reputation of Buena Park Mayor’s Prayer Breakfast event by applying for its 501(c)(3) status and by securing a nationally known speaker for 2013 event.
7. Marketed the City during my year as Mayor
(1) through filmed interviews for Time Warner Cable and for local Channel 3 “The Mayor’s Show;”
(2) through participation in “Walkabouts” with chamber of Commerce staff and the City Manager;
(3) and through presentations to visitors at conferences held in Buena Park hotels.
8. Pushed other Council Members and city staff to consider historic values of buildings and their preservation.
9. Introduced idea of making bikeways and walking pathways on the Edison right-of-way; progress has been slow, but we currently have a landscape architectural business drawing plans.
10. Represented City of Buena Park on other local governmental or volunteer entities:
a. Orange County Fire Authority (OCFA)—member of the Board of Directors, Budget & Finance Committee (currently chairperson), Claims Settlement Committee, Capital Improvement Program Committee, and Executive Committee.
b. Association of California Cities-Orange County—Pension Reform Committee member; soon to begin as chairperson of Community Engagement Committee.
c. League of Cities (LOC)—Employee Relations Committee member; Orange County division (LOC-OC)—4th District Representative and LOC-OC Representative on Orange County Council of Governments.
d. Buena Park Collaborative—member of monthly group that discusses ways to solve negative issues experienced by residents. As a result, I have participated in park clean-up efforts with Successful Families of Buena Park and the Latino Health Awareness Day, among other events.
11. Participated with local religious communities:
a. attended a memorial at Sikh gurdwara (place of worship);
b. toured Jain Temple and spoke at two Jain events;
c. attended Israel Expo Jewish celebration;
d. contributed information/ideas to Christian Ministerial Association, promoted its “Love Buena Park” community service day, was interviewed during a televised service regarding ways to involve churches in the city.